Monday, September 11, 2017

Chopping Mall (1986)

Chopping Mall (1986) 
Dir- Jim Wynorski
1986 was a big year for horror films as VCRs and video stores opened up horror movies for the masses. My weekly trips to the local mom and pop video store helped to fuel my love for horror films as I was able to rent movies weekly instead of having to wait for them on cable. One video that grabbed my attention was Chopping Mall, the box for it showed a cool robot hand holding a bag with chopped up teens. Little did I realize how deceptive the poster and video box would be. A group teens are trapped in a mall with a trio of high tech robot security guards that have gone deadly. I will have to say that unfortunately there is no chopping in this film, but we do get some of the usual cliches of overage teens having sex somewhere they shouldn't and the Final Girl and Boy being the ones you least suspect to survive. Despite my utter disappointment when I first watched the film I now recognize how campy it was and that recent viewings have made it more enjoyable. The movie is full of inside jokes that fans of Roger Corman will appreciate, these include some of his stock actors playing roles from earlier movies. Along with Night of the Comet, you can enjoy seeing Kelli Maroney in yet another movie where she plays a spunky cheerleader. Released under the title Killbots, it was later renamed Chopping Mall to make it more appealing to horror hounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment